Mary Sue & Gary Stu - why they still exist, and why they don't work

by - August 22, 2015

Hi guys,

I was working on one of my books the other day, and I had to stop mid-sentence because I just realised I was starting to create a Mary Sue!

What is a Mary Sue and a Gary Stu, you might ask?

The Mary Sue and Gary Stus in the literary world

Interesting enough, the first time these terms were mention was around the year 1973, with Paula Smith's character in 'A Trekkie's Tale', which for those, like me, who are not Star Trek fans, is a fanfiction about a young Lieutenant, named Mary Sue, about fifteen years old, who is the smartest and youngest Lieutenant ever.

The name of this character quickly became associated with all the self-insertion type characters of the literary world.


Self-insertion

Self-insertion is none other than putting yourself on to the character TOO MUCH, as in, you're trying to make the character BE YOU, and that never ever ever works out fine.

In my opinion - note, that all I write in this blog is just 
MY OPINION - when you try to make the character look like you, whether because you'd like to have a steamy romance with one very famous boyband singer, or a vampire from the 21st century, it never turns out to be a valuable book; it will NEVER be recognised as a precious piece of literary history.

This type of character, either a boy or a girl, always tends to be dull, undeveloped, cliché and too perfect and unrealistic for any reader to identify him/herself with.


Image credit to http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-ShX1prkUWo/maxresdefault.jpg


21st century, still a lot of Sues and Stus around - how to avoid them

Here's the honest truth: as long as there are people, and as long as they write stories, there will be Sues and Stus. It's just the way it is. Every person has a writing style, and every person likes to put their own personal experiences and features in their characters.

How can you avoid them? It's not too hard actually. In my own experience, I tend to read a book/novella/ebook/short story reviews before I start reading it. I go to the best reviews, the 5* ones, and then, I read the 1*.

Being a writer myself, I've had all from 5* to 1*, and I think they all their point, and I don't get offended if someone says they believe my character(s) were dull or that they hated the way I write. It's a world with almost 7 billion people, you can't be loved by everyone.

The 5* reviews, really tell you the strong features of the books, whether it's a very original plot, or great dialogue, etc., to how the character's chemistry works.

The 1* reviews... ai ai... they tell you why the blonde shy girl could NEVER get the vampire immortal and virgin guy. It just. DOESN’T. DAMN. WORK! (Sorry, lost my cool there for a moment).

Image credit to http://misslunarose.deviantart.com/


Really, books about unrealistic teens with unrealistic life problems with their very much unrealistic 6f, perfect tanned and gentleman boyfriend. I. CAN’T. Please stop, now. You'll go a long way with a realistic 16 years old with braces and glasses who falls in love with her geeky best friend who happens to be bullied.

As a teenager myself, I've read from great authors who portrayed real life teenage debates - such as death, disease, divorce, etc. -; to the werewolves and vampires and magical kingdoms kind of stories. And, let me tell you, I preferred to read a realistic teenage princess who has acne and a dragon as a pet, than a beautiful girl who is shy and bullied for being "too beautiful", and falling in love with the immortal prince.

Bottom line is

Seriously, take time to work on your characters. We all tend to make little Marys and Garys, from now and then, and that's fine, as long as we go back and fix it before sending them out to the world and to inspire more Mary/Gary makers.



Happy Readings,
Sophie



You May Also Like

0 comments