Grammar mistakes that make you squirm

by - August 27, 2015

Hello, my dears!

As a writer, I've always struggled - as any other writer, professional or amateur, I suppose - with the Do's and Dont's of writing. Whether it's grammar, sentence structure, plot, we're all guilty of something that really embarrasses us - I know I do.

Some examples are simple grammar typos. I've struggled with some myself; I find myself so confident of my finished manuscript, and when I do proofreading and re-editing, I find more and more mistakes that make me want to slap myself - sometimes I do. Here are some examples of some of grammar crimes I find disturbing.


Their / They're / There

Wrong: I've been their myself
Correct: I've been THERE myself

Wrong: They're house is beautiful
Correct: THEIR house is beautiful

Wrong: Their such nice people
Correct: THEY'RE such nice people

Doesn't it just make you squirm?! Every time I read these mistakes, whether on an online platform of stories sharing, or on an actual published book, it makes me go 'No, no, no, no, no!

Their: Possessive pronoun, indicates ownership of something - their house; their car; their children, etc.

They're: short form of 'They are', it's made from the personal pronoun 'They' and the third person of the verb 'To Be', 'Are'. As it should be expected, it indicates, not possession, but the person - or, in this case, a collective of more than one person.

There: adverb, indicating a place or position

 
Oh the humanity!



Your / You're
Another squirm. It's normal to get mixed up sometimes, and I've been guilty of some really bad 'squirm makers' myself.

Wrong: Your beautiful
Correct: YOU'RE beautiful

Wrong: You're dog is great
Correct: YOUR dog is great

This one, is just, again, a classical mixup about what a personal and a possessive pronoun really are.




Your: Possessive pronoun, indicates ownership of something - your house; your car; your children, etc.
You're: short form of 'You Are'; composed by the personal pronoun 'You', indicating, again, the person, and the second person of the verb 'To Be', 'Are'.



Me / I
I confess, this one gets me confused many times. I often find myself - no pun intended, actually - going on Google to learn it once again.

I was doing research on this particular pain in the butt, and the best explanation for me was one saying you should remove the other person from the sentence, and see if it still makes sense. Sounds easy enough; of course, sometimes you can't get it right as easily as that.

For me, what helps the most is to actually google part of the sentence  I want to write, and see what comes up.

Example: Give Julia and I a coffee not take the 1st person    Give I a coffee

Doesn't sound right, don't you think? But:

Give Julia and ME a coffee take 1st person     Give me a coffee

Now, that's much better, don't you think?



The Apostrophe
Easily explained, an apostrophe demonstrates possession for NOUNS - see that nouns is in capitals for a reason. When you use it for pronouns that's a big no no!

Wrong example: Your's, Their's, Whose's etc.
Correct example: Sophie's dog, the dog's toy, the toy's place, etc.

Two very tricky ones are the IT'S and the ITS.



It's: short form of 'It Is', indicating not a plural, but possession; It's his job; it's his car, etc.
Its: the possessive form of 'It'; it's used when the subject of the sentence is a thing or an animal; my mobile has its own case; the house has its own back yard.



Honourable mention
There are many other troublemakers out there, but this one is my personal favourite:

Compliment / Complement

For me, these two words really get on my nerves, and don't ask me why.

Compliment: when someone says something nice about you, for example 'I really like your shirt'; they are giving you a COMPLIMENT

Complement: meaning, two things go well together, for example, Tom Cruise to Renée Zellweger on Jerry Maguire 'You complete me'. So Jerry and what's-her-name COMPLEMENT each other.


Get your grammar straight before you hit the 'Upload' or 'Send' button on your website/email, to avoid some of these incredibly embarrassing situations - believe you me, it will save you many crying nights.

 

Happy Readings,
Sophie


You May Also Like

0 comments