It's fun to make up stuff! - A (very) short guide to get something done

by - September 17, 2015

It’s fun to make up stuff!


It’s the best feeling in the world: to start writing your very first story. C‘mon, let’s be honest, this could easily be the next Harry Potter or Bridget Jones! It’s not that hard; besides, you have a great, one of a kind, idea that everyone who is anyone will love!

No. Honey, sorry, but that ain’t happening. Well, sure, there’s maybe a one in a million chance – maybe a billion – for you to be writing that one great novel, about flying kitties that fight criminal pigeons in Antarctica – and yes, I just made that up and I’m starting to think it might just be a good story.

If you open your browser right now, and search for something like amateur stories, or writing stories, I assure you there’ll appear about a hundred websites with great creative people, just like you. Take some time, do that, and then come back to me and tell me I’m wrong.

Of course, that doesn’t matter at all! You’re different. You’ll be the J.K. Rowling or George R. R. Martin of the new century. You’ll be Jessica A. K. Spears, you’ll write about the regular girl who has a crush on a famous singer, and who magically meets her and starts loving her back.

The truth, of course, can be a lot more harsh. Your first story will probably not be your big success. I’ve re-read my very first story a couple months ago, and I laughed all the way through. It was so, so bad, I had to laugh. I thank the heavens for never have sent that manuscript ANYWHERE!

However, even with all the statistics against us, all the hundreds of thousands of people who are also writing great stories as I write these words, we should still keep writing. It's our passion, it's what makes us feel acomplished, relaxed, confident, whatever the feeling,

Something I’m – still – learning these days is to keep focused on the story I’m writing, and the big secret everyone of us should know is to plan plan plan!


1.       Write a first draft. Or just take a bunch of notes that can be the guidelines for your story. Remember, you don’t need to know everything that’ll happen in your story at first, but a few key points are essential to keep you on the right track.




2.      Idealize your characters. For me, what helps the most is to write down everything I know about my characters, from their physical appearance to their likes and dislikes, to their mood. If you get to know your characters as if they would be real people, friends or family. I find it easier for the plot development, and obviously to create a continuity in the story.





3.     Choose your environment. For some people, what helps them concentrate on their writing is music, for others, what makes it easy is the peace and quiet. For me, personally, it depends on the my day, on my mood and even on the kind of story or scene I’m writing at the moment. Find what helps you, but don’t go playing on YouTube for too long, though, or you’ll be back to square one.




4.      Get visual. Something that helps, I think, is to get some images that can better describe what you want to write about. Whether it’s a person, a place, a specific scene, it helps if you have something to get inspiration from. I do this often, regarding the characters’ homes, the cities they live in, etc.




5.       Get REAL. Mark Twain said ‘Write what you know’; this basically means whatever you write about, be sure you are fully educated on the subject. I don’t really agree, considering people have been writing Sci-Fi for decades, and no one has ever met an Alien, as far as I’m aware – or whatever your belief, my friend. Sure, do get your facts straight, if you’re writing about real life science, or world history; however, don’t stay within the lines, go crazy! Have fun!




Yes, writing stuff is fun, and it should always be. Don’t be afraid to make stuff up; there’ll always be haters, there’ll always be criticism, but, at the end of the day, if you are proud of what you’ve accomplished, that’s what matters. Not fame, not international success; if you find yourself reading your own book, in bed, and smiling all the way through, honey, you did it!

Happy Readings,Sophie

You May Also Like

0 comments