My Top 5 Historical Romance Novels

by - September 04, 2016

Hello everyone!

I hope you've enjoyed your weekend, and that you're prepared for another week and to go back to work.

I am passionate about reading - almost more than writing, really -, and Historical Romance was, once, my favorite genre. These days, I move around a lot. Sometimes I'm more into Contemporary Romance, others it's Urban Fantasy - currently one of my favorites.

I have to admit - with a terribly flushed face  -.-' - I've read the Harlequin novels avidly. I used to read them every day/night, and fall in love with every Prince/Lord/Duke/Warrior that lived only in those pages.

(I hope my Prince H doesn't read this!)

I only included on the list stories that could've actually taken place sometime before in the history of the world. Wonderful books like Tolkien's The Lord of The Rings and G. R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones are not included, but I will include them with a fantasy Top 5, soon.

From all the hundreds of Historical Romance stories I've read, 5 still touch me, I read them again every couple of Years, or so. Below is my all time TOP 5 in the Historical Romance Genre.


1 - DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST - Juliet Marillier


My favorite ever since I'm 14/15 years old. I've talked about this book before here on the blog. It's my favorite book of all time, period. I remember exactly what I felt reading about this young girl, her love for her brothers, her courage and what she was prepared to do, what she gave up, to save her family.

It still brings tears to my eyes when I read. The original trilogy, for me, are the best books from Ms. Marillier. I've been accompanying the Sevenwaters Trilogy, but I must admit the original 3 are the ones that always touch my heart.

If you love unconventional Historical Romance, i.e., set in a primitive Ireland, with some magic, mystery and ultimate sacrifice, get this one, it's so worth it.




2 - OUTLANDER - Diana Gabaldon


Who is watching the STARZ TV show? ME, me, me! When I first saw the trailer, I screamed - honestly, Prince H cursed and ran down the stairs of our house to make sure I was alive. I was so happy, and I've been watching the show without ever missing a single second! It's wonderful, and it so does justice to this wonderful series.

Ms. Gabaldon has done a fantastic job with Claire's and Jamie's love story. I love the details, I adore how she makes it look like the were actually there with all those important people from the past.

An ongoing series with 7 published books, the Outlander Series is filled with magic time travel, Scottish men in their kilts and 18th century drama to make you squirm in your seat.





3 - PRIDE AND PREJUDICE - Jane Austen


Darcy. Mr. Darcy. No other words are needed! *.*



4 - MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - Arthur Golden


Beautifully written piece of art. The story about a young girl that is sold with her sister into the dark world of the Geishas, in the 1920's in Japan. We read all about little Chiyo, with her beautiful blue eyes, like clear water, and how she becomes one of the most talented Geishas in Japan.

I loved this book so much - and the movie I must admit - that I have goosebumps when I talk about it.
 (Actually, I think I'll watch it a gain tonight!).

Insight into the world of Geishas, you feel Chiyo's terror, worry and passion in the crafty words of Mr. Golden.




5 - NORTH AND SOUTH - Elizabeth Gaskell


Same sort of Historical novel as Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, the story of Margareth and her family, moving from the South to the industrialised North of England. The change is not welcome, and she struggles to adapt. We meet John Thornton which is... *sighs* just wonderful. You can also watch the BBC mini serie which, if you've ever seen a BBC mini serie, you know it will be spot on.




And this is it, my personal TOP 5 in Historical Romance - I left out all the Harlequin novels because... oh well, I would be too embarrassed to... justify my choices -.-'

Happy Readings,
Sophie

You May Also Like

0 comments